Sunday, February 17, 2013

MATH IN MUSIC? HUH?!

One reason I chose music, specifically music theory, for my field of study and practice is because math is not required. That is what I thought at least. I am now taking a post-tonal music theory class at Tech, a class which focuses on analyzing strictly non-tertian music. In doing so, we see things such as this:


So I ask you, “Does this look like math?” The obvious answer would be, “Yes.” This indeed is math, and to be honest, it can be quite complicated at times. Particular formulas are necessary for specific functions involved in analyzing the music so in this class, I find myself adding, subtracting, converting, using graphs and charts, finding Z-relations and pitch-class sets, etc.. I enjoy it because my brain is a mathematical brain seeing things in a black and white manner and being very methodical and analytical in my approach to figuring things out. However, math also causes much frustration, particularly when I don’t remember a formula or perform the action incorrectly. If you want to be thoroughly confused or want something interesting to study, take a look at post-tonal analysis (set theory). It will give you pure joy…or perhaps not. I say all this to give you a big scream. Ahhhh!!!