Monday, November 30, 2015

Mission Romania

Mission Romania

            November 22-30 of 2015 I traveled to Sighisoara, Romania on a mission trip with the primary purpose being to lead worship, preach, and train local worship leaders in the area. I began the trip leaving from Lubbock, TX on Sunday afternoon, November 22 and then flew to Houston. After a very short layover, my flight then took me to Frankfurt, Germany, and again after another short layover and walking through the airport for nearly an hour and a half to get to the correct corridor, I flew to Bucharest, Romania. I took a day to see that city and saw some amazing sights. The beauty of the architecture and culture was incredible. However, the effects of communism were made very apparent as well.

            After a day of seeing the city, on Tuesday Pastor Sabin Boruga drove me about 4 ½ hours to Sighisoara, the birthplace of Prince Vlad Dracula. While Bucharest is a city of nearly 5-million people, Sighisoara is much smaller at only 35-thousand. Romania is one of the poorest countries in Europe. Sighisoara is in the north-central part of the country in a geographic region called Transylvania. It is a beautiful city exhibiting the characteristics of a classic little European town that many people would picture. Many cities have a Citadel or a fortress atop a hill, which would have been common in Medieval times. Sighisoara is no different, although it has obviously expanded outside those walls. In general, Europe is technologically advanced. Internet speeds, for example, are much faster yet much less expensive than in the United States. In Eastern European countries like Romania, it is common for younger people to speak English. However, older people usually do not, mainly because they lived for the majority of their lives during a time when they could only speak Romanian. Pastor Sabin speaks five languages himself. Being just a little older than me, he was very young during the Revolution and barely remembers the fall of communism. This is all made evident in Sighisoara.

            Pastor Sabin Boruga is Romanian by birth but speaks excellent English. His wife is of German descent and also speaks English. I met Sabin while he was a youth pastor at a local church in my father’s Baptist association while he was attending seminary, and we have kept in touch since then and long spoken of doing a trip like this. Well, it finally happened. Sabin and his brother have planted six churches since the early 2000s in Sighisoara, and his brother just planted a Romanian speaking church in Germany. Sabin pastors one congregation but is the overseer of all six and uses lay-members and other church leaders to fulfill the role of pastoring the smaller churches in the villages. Many of the buildings he built with the help of others from the ground up. These churches are in villages outside the city of Sighisoara, and many of the people Sabin pastors are Gypsies.

            I spent Wednesday morning visiting with some families in Pastor Sabin’s churches. It was a wonderful experience getting to meet several people and pray with them. Most of them are very poor. Gypsy people used to live in the area but moved away, and after the Revolution and the fall of a Romanian dictator in 1989, they began moving back. The community Sabin lives in is a Gypsy community. They are people that have traditionally been known as thieves and outcasts with no place to go. They know him here as the pastor to the Gypsy people. These are people that no one else will love, but Sabin feels called to them and they welcome him with open arms. I then took Wednesday night to tour Dracula’s castle since it is so close. Vlad Dracula was a prince who was captured and tortured by the Turks in the 15th-century, but later when he took power again, he used what he learned in their torture methods against them. The legend of him being a vampire comes from a 19th-century novel. When Vlad died, his body was never found so Bram Stoker wrote a novel based on his character about what happened to him, namely becoming a vampire. His real name is Vlad, and he is known as Vlad the Impaler for how he eventually killed the Turks. Dracula means “son of the Devil.” Seeing this castle where he spent much of time was a great experience. On the way back, we stopped in Brasov, which has a bid to be the European Capital of Culture in 2021.

            Romania has only in the past few years become part of the European Union, which requires certain things to be in place eventually, one of which is being on the Euro. Right now Romania uses their own currency called the Lei. They hope to be on the Euro by 2018. Another requirement is that their official business language has to be English, which should not be a problem for them. Countries in Europe tend to be more like states in the United States. There are largely open borders once you are on the continent, and you can travel freely between those borders. They will still give you the gift of a passport stamp, but the European Union is quickly becoming one large government in and of itself.

            Thursday I spent the day visiting the village churches. Every church had a hand-built brick oven they used to bake bread for the poor people of the village. Sabin’s parents owned a bakery when he was growing up so he was very good at it. Some of the churches also contained a soup kitchen where they fed Gypsy children during the day. The work of the church being the hands and feet of Christ was obvious in these ministries. The entire purpose of these ministries though is to present the gospel message of Christ, for any good work that does not point to the gospel exercise futility. All that is done must be done to preach the gospel. That afternoon Sabin asked if I could go to his mother-in-law’s house and play and sing for her. She is dying of cancer so I told him absolutely. I had never met the woman till that moment, but seeing her sing and lift her hands while lying on her bed was very moving to me. I then led worship at Sabin’s main church Thursday night. With a congregation of about 30 people, we sang and worshiped. I gave a very short message, but most of the night was spent singing praises. I did mostly hymns since they were the most familiar, and it was great to hear them singing these hymns in their heart language of Romanian. They were very appreciative of me being there.

            Friday I went to the city of Sibiu with Sabin to visit a man from his congregation who is in the hospital with broken legs from an accident. He again appreciated me seeing him and praying with him. I then took about an hour to see some of the sights of the city including some incredible cathedrals. The primary religion in Romania is Greek Orthodox, simply called Romanian Orthodox because of the country it is established in. It is a state religion, and the priests are paid by the government. This means that they adhere to what the government wants. Most people in Romania claim to be Orthodox, but very few of them actually practice. Other denominations that exist are Catholic, Lutheran (referred to simply as Evangelical), and Baptist. Sabin’s churches are Baptist.

            Friday night I led worship for a group of college students. They spoke English so I did newer songs in English and then preached but with Sabin translating, and they very much enjoyed it.

            Saturday I woke up early to see the Citadel in Sighisoara. It was wonderful seeing the Medieval walls of the city. I walked up to the Citadel, the highest point in the city and saw some incredible churches and was even able to spend some time in the city clock tower, one of the highest points in the city. The view was unmatched. I then spent the rest of the day Saturday training local worship leaders. There was a mix of old and young, people who liked contemporary music and people who only liked hymns, and people who read music and people who played by ear, and they all spoke English so I did not need a translator. Bridging the gap and training such a vast group is often a challenge, but that is why I came. I first gave some spiritual training and talk about Christian worship being Christocentric. Then I gave some helpful tips for worship leaders such as how to introduce new songs and how to use the planning process as spiritual formation. Then I gave some practical training musically. My hope and prayer is that these leaders not only become better worship leaders through this training but that they also become better worshipers.

            Sunday I led worship and preached in three different churches, the last one being Sabin’s main church in Sighisoara. I spoke of Christ as High Priest in all three services and how that should transform the way we worship. It was wonderful to see Romanian people worshiping and eagerly listening to what the Lord was saying to them. These are the local Christians, the light in a dark place for Sighisoara. I was honored to have the opportunity to work with and minister to them. In fact, I think they ministered to me just as much if not more. Throughout the week the Lord was speaking to me about not only Christocentric worship but since worship is Christocentric, living a more Christocentric life. In other words, every action and decision in our lives should have Christ at the center. I was also reminded to always trust the Holy Spirit. In a culture where everything is much more laidback and relaxed than I am used to, it was difficult to not be prepared at times. I was prepared, but I personally like being ready for things much in advance. There were times, however, when I had to scrap my plans and simply rely on the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Honestly that is a good place to be. God is in control anyway so his way goes. We should always trust the leadership of the Holy Spirit in our lives. This is essential to right worship.

            To my First Baptist Church of Slaton family, I thank you for the opportunity of ministering in Romania. I hope more opportunities like this arise but not only for me, for you as well. I encourage you to pray about how the Lord desires to use you on a global scale. Seek him, and let his will be done. Pastor Sabin’s biggest need right now is prayer, but second to that is financial support. Pray about how the Lord desires to use you in his kingdom work around the world, perhaps in Romania. Again I thank you. The ministry in Romania was fruitful, and God is at work in Sighisoara. Here is a summary video with pictures and recordings.